Looking to take great street photos? You’re in luck – there is an abundance of options out there.
What’s important for a street camera: compact, light, unobtrusive, comfortable to hold, with fast lens options (when the light starts to drop).
Here are some great deals on the used market:
- Ricoh GR I or II: 16.2 megapixel APS-C sensor, fixed LCD, no viewfinder. Bitingly sharp 28mm equivalent F2.8 lens. This, along with the Fuji X100 series, is one of the kings of street photography. $500-600 used.
- Fuji XF10: 24 megapixel APS-C (Bayer) sensor, fixed (touchscreen) LCD, no viewfinder. 28mm equivalent F2.8 lens. $650 used.
- Fuji X100 (Classic): 12 megapixel APS-C sensor, fixed LCD, hybrid viewfinder. 35mm equivalent F2 lens. A cult favorite of street shooters, although some would say overpriced today due to hipsters. $500 used.
Verdict: all great cameras, but prices somewhat inflated on the used market due to scarcity. Highly recommend buying fixed-lens cameras in person (to check for dust on sensor).
- Canon SL1 (100D): 18 megapixel APS-C sensor, fixed LCD. Great value, and a very compact setup with the Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM pancake lens. Total = $250 ($150 camera body + $100 lens).
- Canon 5D Mark II: 21 megapixel Full Frame sensor, fixed LCD screen, weather resistant. Pair it with the tiny Canon EF 40mm F2.8 STM lens or the “nifty fifty” Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM. Total = $450 ($350 camera body + $100 lens).
Verdict: I’d take the 5D Mark II. Go big or go home, right?
- Canon M200: 24 megapixel APS-C sensor, tilting LCD, no viewfinder. Very compact setup with the excellent and tiny Canon EF-M 22mm F2 STM lens. Total = $450 ($300 camera body + $150 lens).
- Panasonic GX85: 16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor, tilting (touchscreen) LCD, 2.76 mp EVF. Tiny, especially when paired with a Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 lens (40mm equivalent field of view). Total = $450 ($300 camera body + $150 lens).
- Olympus E-M10 Mark II: 16 megapixel Micro Four Thirds sensor, 2.36mp EVF, tilting LCD, in-body image stabilization. Pair it with the Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 lens (40mm equivalent field of view). Total = $450.
- Fuji X-E2: 16 megapixel APS-C (X-Trans) sensor, 2.36mp EVF, fixed screen LCD. Pair with the excellent Fuji XF 23mm F2 R WR lens (35mm equivalent FOV). $350 + $300 lens = $650.
- Fuji X-T20: 24 megapixel APS-C (X-Trans) sensor, 2.36mp EVF, tilting LCD. Pair with the Fuji XF 23mm F2 R WR lens. $450 body + $300 lens = $750 total.