Need help picking a great value M-Mount lens for your Leica rangefinder camera (either film or digital)? This is the page for you.
Start by choosing your favorite focal length (if in doubt, go with a 35mm or 50mm). If you already own a 50mm, try a 21mm or 28mm. If you already own a 35mm, why not go for a 21mm?
Any Leica Summicron lens is a great pick for any of the popular focal lengths. With that said, there are many affordable options out there. Here are some of the absolute best for the money:
- TTArtisan 21mm F1.5 ($430 new)
- Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Type II ($650 new)
- Zeiss 28mm F2.8 ZM Biogon T* ($700 new)
- Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 II MC Nokton ($650 new)
- Voigtlander 35mm F1.7 Ultron Aspherical ($400 used)
- Zeiss 35mm F2 ZM Biogon T* ($1,240 new, $700 used)
- Leica 35mm F2 Summicron-M ASPH ($3,900 new, $2,500 used): model #11673
- Voigtlander Color-Skopar 35mm F2.5 P II ($430 new)
- Zeiss 35mm F2.8 ZM C Biogon T* ($1,000 new, $650 used)
- Leitz Wetzlar 40mm F2 Summicron C ($800 used)
- Minolta 40mm F2 M-Rokkor ($350 used): almost the same as the Leitz, a real bargain!
- Voigtlander 50mm F1.5 Nokton v1 Aspherical ($350 used)
- Canon 50mm F1.8 MF LTM ($130 used)
- Zeiss 50mm F2 ZM Planar T* ($1,000 new, $550 used)
- Voigtlander 50mm F2 APO-LANTHAR ($1,000 new, $700 used)
- Leitz Wetzlar Summicron-M 50mm F2 ($1,000 used)
- Voigtlander 50mm F2.5 Color Skopar ($550 used)
- Leica 50mm F2.5 Summarit-M ($1,500 used)
- Voigtlander Nokton 75mm F1.5 ($1,000 new, $800 used)
- Voigtlander 75mm F2.5 MC Color Heliar ($300 used)
- Leitz Wetzlar 90mm F2.8 Elmarit-M ($400 used)
- Leitz Wetzlar 90mm F4 Elmar-C ($300 used)
- If you come across an L39 mount (Leica Thread Mount, or LTM) lens, don’t worry: you can easily use it on your Leica M with an affordable adapter. Rayqual makes quality adapters. Fotodiox if you’re on a budget.